Two late goals gave Manchester United a memorable 2-1 comeback victory over Juventus in the Champions League group phase.
Former United forward Cristiano Ronaldo scored his first Champions League goal for Juventus to place the hosts in front, hitting on a superbly-timed volley ago David de Gea (65) from inside the box following Leonardo Bonucci’s ball.
But Juan Mata equalised for United \until Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba remaining having a \nice dipping free-kick from 20 yards, with four minutes aided package the ball over the line through Alex Sandro for a personal goal in the 90th minute.
Juventus: Szczesny (6), De Sciglio (6 ) ), Chiellini (6 ) ), Sandro (7), Bonucci (6 ) ), Pjanic (6 ) ), Khedira (6), Dybala (6), Cuadrado (6 ) ), Bentancur (6 ) ), Ronaldo (7 ) )
Subs: Matuidi (5), Barzagli (NA), Mandzukic (NA)
Manchester United: De Gea (6), Young (6 ) ), Smalling (7), Lindelof (7), Shaw (6), Matic (6), Herrera (6 ) ), Pogba (5), Lingard (5), Sanchez (6), Martial (6)
Subs: Rashford (6 ) ), Mata (7), Fellaini (7)
Man of the game: Victor Lindelof
The result implies United’s knockout qualification hopes are sitting two behind leaders Juventus, second in Group H with seven points and two over Valencia.
United looked for the first half an hour as neither side made a chance, however, the very first chance fell to Juventus as Juan Cuadrado’s cross in the right of this box deflected off Nemanja Matic, forcing De Gea into a save\.
He also hooked his effort from 12 yards against the exterior of the post together with De Gea stranded, although A minute later, Ronaldo’s fine fell to Sami Khedira.
As Herrera and Lingard arrived to Mata and Fred united made two modifications by their triumph at Bournemouth. Lukaku wasn’t in the group due to injury.
Juventus made four changes by his weekend win over Cagliari; Khedira was straight back after injury and Cuadrado, Chiellini and Sandro also started, substituting Benatia, Cancelo, Costa and Matuidi.
Following the break, just wide struck with a curling effort from 20 metres, while in the other end Juventus hit the woodwork inside the box in distance.
He had been silent up to the stage, however, Ronaldo became centre of attention on 65 minutes, even collecting a Bonucci ball over his shoulder and volleying brilliantly past De Gea out of 12 metres\.
Ronaldo, who’d spent six years in Old Trafford, did not hold back in his parties, but did wave in regard to the United fans\.
Dybala nearly added a second, refused by the outstretched hand of De Gea, and Cuadrado fluffed his opportunity to roll up the game by 12 yards, blazing over after Ronaldo’s unselfish centre\.
However, out of nowhereUnited fought back for the 3 factors, equalising after Wojciech Szczesny had taken a measure to the opposite side as Mata hit a \fine free-kick on the wall\.
They even got their winner from Ashley Young’s wicked cross in the 90th minute , causing mayhem as Pogba’s touch came off Sandro and above the line.
By turning his ears prior to being ushered off the pitch to the Juventus audience, which upset some of the home players, jose Mourinho celebrated\.
- After United’s win in Turin, paired together with Valencia’s victory at home to Young Boys on Matchday Four, Group H was blown open.
- If United conquer Young Boys on MD5, and Valencia shed or perhaps draw at Juventus, United will probably be through to the knockout stages.
- If United shed or draw against Young Boys and Valencia lose or draw, they will still just require a point in the Mestalla on MD6.
- United can finish best of their group, sitting two points behind leaders Juventus. United hit the knockout stages as champions and will have a favourable seeded draw if United win their past two games and Juventus fall points in either of the last two matches\.
- Juventus have lost a UEFA Champions League group phase house game for the first time since December 2009 (versus Bayern Munich), finishing a 19-game unbeaten run (W11 D8).
- Manchester United have won away more Champions League games in Juventus than every other hand possess at the history of this competition (3).
- Manchester United came back to win a UEFA Champions League match with 2 goals in the final five minutes of a game for the very first time since the 1999 closing vs Bayern Munich.
- Manchester United’s Juan Mata has scored his first Champions League goal since pitted against VfL Wolfsburg at September 2015, finishing a streak of 11 appearances in the contest without a target.
- Juventus ahead Cristiano Ronaldo finished a drought of 20 shots and 453 moments with no goal from the UEFA Champions League, along with his opening goal against Manchester United in this match.
Person of the game – Victor Lindelof
Together with Chris Smalling, Lindelof set into a fine dropping the ball and showing to keep Juventus in bay for the vast majority of the sport creating a team-high eight clearances only four times, significantly less than some of the starting XI.
United now go to competitions Manchester City on Super Sunday, live on Sky Sports Premier League at 4.30pm, and now confront Young Boys in Old Trafford next up in the Champions League on November 27. Juventus host Valencia on precisely the\ night.