The news means 19 of the 20 chairs have been revealed, together with the official announcement to Racing Point Force India of Lance Stroll’s movement.
Albon had moved into the top of Toro Rosso’s listing in October, but the former Red Bull protege’s situation was complicated by the fact he had committed to linking the Nissan e.dams ABB FIA Formula E Championship team.
He therefore required extricating from that contract, a situation that caused consternation in Nissan – particularly since the drive for him to move to F1 happened as FE pre-season testing was beginning.
Motorsport.com revealed earlier on Monday the final hurdles to Albon parting with Nissan was cleared, also official confirmation of that by Nissan was followed by Toro Rosso announcing Albon’s signing.
Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost said the functionality of 22-year-old Albon in Formula 2 this year – when he was third behind Lando Norris and motorists George Russell – .
“Alexander had an astonishing Formula 2 season in 2018,” said Tost. “He won four championships and finished the tournament.
“How he can overtake many of his rivals in the races shows he is prepared and matured into race in Formula 1.
“With Daniil and Alex we have two young, very strong and competitive drivers.”
Albon’s return to the Red Bull fold with Toro Rosso includes six years after he had been dropped from the junior programme of the drinks firm.
“It is such an wonderful feeling to know I’m in Formula 1 next year,” he said. “During my single-seater career, I went through a few ups and downs.
“I had been dropped by Red Bull at 2012, so from then I understood my street into Formula 1 was likely to be a good deal harder.
“I worked really hard and tried to impress every time I got in the car, and I must say a huge thank you to Red Bull and Dr [Helmut] Marko for believing in me and giving me another chance.
“I have always been motorsport mad and because I first got in a car it has been my fantasy to be in Formula 1.
“To be granted this chance is just unbelievable.”
Toro Rosso goes having an F1 line-up at Albon and Kvyat.
Pierre Gasly is leaving to join the Red Bull Racing team that is mature set up of Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo, while Brendon Hartley – another Red Bull reject remembered by the company – has been dropped over a year after obtaining his surprise F1 chance.
Nissan is expected to replace Albon.
2019 F1 line-up up to now:
Lance Stroll *
* Not yet announced