The MMA fighter accused of attacking his UFC fighter wife Rachael Ostovich has pleaded not guilty.
Arnold Berdon entered the plea Monday in Honolulu District Court, a spokesperson for the prosecuting attorney told MMA Fighting. He is being charged with second-degree assault in relation to the alleged attack on Ostovich in the early morning hours of Nov. 18. Ostovich was hospitalized after the alleged attack and treated for a broken orbital bone.
Berdon, 27, is due back in court Dec. 18 for a preliminary hearing, the spokesperson said.
Last week, Berdon was arrested on a charge of attempted murder, which was reclassified Friday to second-degree assault. According to a TMZ report, Osotovich wrote in a temporary restraining order petition that Berdon punched her repeatedly in the head, face and ribs, causing her to fall down and spit up blood after an argument at their home in the Waianae area of Honolulu County.
Ostovich’s petition for a temporary restraining order was granted last week and it also extends to their 5-year-old daughter. Legally, Berdon cannot be within 100 feet of Ostovich and their daughter until the order expires May 18, 2019.
Ostovich, 27, was forced out of her scheduled fight with Paige VanZant on the UFC’s inaugural ESPN+ card Jan. 19 in Brooklyn due to the injuries she sustained. She wrote in the restraining order petition that Berdon abused her previously, specifically mentioning an incident from May when he punched her in the legs, leaving bruises.
Berdon’s family told TMZ that he plans on mounting a defense to the charge, arguing that he was defending himself.