Liverpool will need a significant operation at Anfield when they sponsor Napoli on Tuesday to be eligible for the previous 16 of the Champions League.
The Reds need to win 1-0 or by 2 goals to qualify for the Champions League last 16 with Carlo Ancelotti’s side winning the osmosis 1-0 at Italy.
Manager Jurgen Klopp insists it’s time for Liverpool to set right the wrongs of the inconsistent Champions League campaign, that has seen them lose all of their games away in the competition for the first time.
“We understood it after the Napoli game that that was not good enough. Belgrade was not better. Paris has been an OK away game, at the Champions League you may lose from PSG in their arena,” he said.
“We gave them a proper game but we lost it. So far at home we are good, we need to be even better tomorrow night. I told the boys, I believe we receive tomorrow exactly what we deserve if nothing happens with referee decisions\.
“We triggered the problem in a fantastic way and in a poor way. We have the opportunity to go through, that is unique.
“This is a big chance for us and we will try everything to place it right. If someone offers you a chance, it is about you and using it.”
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren is very likely to come back to the side. The centre-back has missed the previous few games with concussion but has since returned to training so could replace Joel Matip, while Adam Lallana will be still fit to play following his head injury against Bournemouth.
While Sadio Mane ought to be matched, captain Jordan Henderson may return to midfield after becoming a substitute against Bournemouth at the weekend.
Meanwhile, the a solid squad will be brought by Napoli to Anfield. Vlad Chiriches and Just Simone Verdi will likely be missing for the visitors\.
- This will be the fourth aggressive meeting between Liverpool and Napoli, with the two sides having a balanced record of a win apiece plus a draw.
- Napoli enjoyed a 1-0 win over Liverpool on MD2 of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League, as a result of a 90th minute goal from Lorenzo Insigne; a goal that was the 18th and final shot at the match.
- Liverpool didn’t try a single shot on target in their Champions League meeting with Napoli around MD2; the very first time they had neglected to attempt one shot on target at a Champions League match because February 2006 (vs Benfica).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in 18 successive European matches in Anfield (W13 D5 L0), continue losing at home in European contest back in October 2014 against Real Madrid (0-3).
- Napoli have not won any of their last six UEFA Champions League away matches (W0 D2 L4), using their last victory on the road in the competition coming in Lisbon against Benficaback in December 2016 (2-1).
- Should Napoli avert defeat, they’ll have reached the knockout stages for the third time in five Champions League campaigns (also 2011/12 and 2016/17).
Liverpool vs Man Utd
December 16, 2018 \
It’s an enormous one to keep Liverpool’s momentum moving\. I have said it before but Anfield is among the three venues for watching soccer on the planet and they’ll be \up for this one.
Since Napoli are a great side, it is a game and they have already conquered at Liverpool but they have had some great European nights at Anfield and I believe they’re set for yet another one .
Liverpool 3-1 Napoli – Salah & Firmino to score (Sky Bet chances )