Jurgen Klopp wants his Liverpool side to be”mad” if they sponsor long distance rivals Manchester United on Sunday.
The Reds can retake the Premier League lead to victory, however, the German director is aware that United will look for their midweek Champions League loss for an instantaneous reaction.
“From the other hand it looks like it is maybe not the best mood – United lost their last match,” he said.
“we now have our own issues and also our own aims and we all go for them”
He added:”We struggle for our points. We have to be mad on Sunday and we will be.”
Though they have not beaten them in the previous eight league meetings home and away liverpool have not lost at Anfield since 2013.
There are 16 points separating the nightclubs, with United nearer to the relegation zone compared to leaders Manchester City.
Klopp focused on the need for the fixture.
“It’s among those matches which you sign with your own contract: try to do everything you’ve got to win ,” said the German, whose side will be the only unbeaten club in England’s top five divisions.
It’s a cool game”
Since director Jose Mourinho took control at Old Trafford in 20-16, united have struggled against their rivals:
- They have faced Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal a joint total of 2-4 times in the league, however, have won just eight matches.
- In total from those matches, they have collected 31 points from a possible 72.
- That is a worse head to head album compared to the rest of the areas in that mini-league except for Arsenal.
- United have had only 263 shots from the 2 4 previous meetings against City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal – 51 less compared to the Gunners, who’re next on the list.
- Mourinho’s side have faced 102 more shots on their own goal compared to Liverpool have in the same set of fixtures.
Despite Liverpool’s present status as contenders for its name, Mourinho says he does not speed them.
“I played against a Liverpool that was European winner,” he told Sky Sports.
“I don’t know whether it was not better; I understand that the different team was European winner and that team won nothing. So I believe I have to respect the ones who did itand I have to respect the vision of those people which did not.”
He added:”They’re a fantastic team, the intensity they play at makes the game difficult, however we have to match that and make an effort to improve it. But I think that it is necessary to focus on us, and see how we can hurt them, and score a few goals”