OAKLAND, Calif. — With Monday night’s affair with the Denver Broncos maybe being the Last Oakland Raiders game played in Oakland, below are five memorable minutes at the Oakland Coliseum, That the Raiders have called residence from 1966 through 1981 and from 1995 during today:
Trailing Joe Namath and also the Ny Jets, 32-29, the Raiders rallied to score two touchdowns in nine minutes, on a 43-yard touchdown pass from Daryle Lamonica into Charlie Smith and a fumble recovered for a TD by Preston Ridlehuber on the ensuing kickoff. Thing was, NBC had cut away from the game with a moment and change to play with, and also the Jets leading, to demonstrate the kids ’s movie “Heidi. ” Just West Coast audiences, those listening on radio stations and anybody from the Coliseum knew what had happened — a 43-32 Oakland victory.
Even the Miami Dolphins, the twotime defending Super Bowl winners, were leading the Raiders 26-21 using Oakland at the Miami 8-yard line with first-and wish togo. Ken Stabler drifted in the pocket and, wrapped up by the thighs from Vern Den Herder, ” was going to hit on the ground for a sack. However, until his knees touchedhe lofted a rickety pass between three Dolphins into Clarence Davis, that wrestled the ball away for the go ahead score. George Blanda’s PAT gave the Raiders a 28-26 lead, however it required a Phil Villapiano interception of Bob Griese to seal the AFC divisional playoff triumph.
Having gained Ken “Snake” Stabler in a starter-for-starter deal that off season — that the Raiders got Dan Pastorini — that the Oilers were the AFC’s pre season favorites. Alternatively, Stabler had ahead quickly to some old stomping grounds for a playoff game. His older teammates weren’t in a welcoming mood, hitting him with aplomb and picking him off two times, the final indignity that a 20-yard pick-six from Lester Hayes. A couple of longtime Oakland fan-favorites in complete safety Jack Tatum and tight end Dave Casper had been dealt with Houston. The Raiders used the 27-7 wildcard triumph as a springboard into Super Bowl XV, where they thumped that the Philadelphia Eagles supporting game MVP Jim Plunkett, who’d replaced Pastorini afterwards he suffered a broken leg in Week 5.
“The Black and Silver Are Back!
Therefore opined former Raiders radio announcer Greg Papa while the final seconds ticked off the clock of the Raiders’ 41-24 beatdown of the Tennessee Titans from the 2002 AFC title game, seven years following the Raiders had came back into Oakland after 1 3 seasons in LosAngeles. Rich Gannon, that season’s NFL MVP, passed for 286 yards and three touchdowns, Tim Brown grabbed two passes for 73 yards, Jerry Rice had five catches for 79 yards and Oakland’s defense sacked Steve McNair twice and limited him to 194 yards passing and Eddie George to 67 yards rushing. There clearly is no week off before the Super Bowl that year, though, and Jon Gruden, traded to Tampa Bay annually earlier in the day, knew that the Raiders intimately whilst the Buccaneers blew out the Raiders, that have had only one winning record and also a single playoff appearance as. Gruden’so go back to Oakland this season has been doing little to ease this beverage.
Per day after his dad ’so death, a heavy hearted Favre put on a series for the ages in Oakland. The Green Bay Packers quarterback passed for 399 yards, four touchdowns with no interceptions on Monday Night Football. He’d 311 passing yards and four TDs until half time of their Packers’ eventual 41-7 victory as the Raiders would limp into the conclusion using a 4-12 record annually after playing in the Super Bowl. Bill Callahan, who’d replaced Gruden, could be fired following the summer and put off a flow of trainers — Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, Tom Cable, Hue Jackson, Dennis Allen, Tony Sparano, Jack Del Rio — until Mark Davis, that took over the group after his dad Al’s passing Oct. 8, 2011, coaxed Gruden Out-of ESPN’s Monday Night Football booth last January.
Honorable (Dishonorable?) Mention
• Raiders win their first AFL title, beating the Oilers 40-7, on Dec. 31, 1967.
• Raiders lose last-ever AFL title game, 17-7, to Chiefs on Jan. 4, 1970.
• Helped by a questionable roughing the passer call on Ray “Sugar Bear” Hamilton, the Raiders rally to beat the Patriots in a AFC divisional playoff game on Dec. 18, 1976.
• Nine days after, the Raiders finally split to gain the AFC title by beating the rival Steelers 24-7 enroute to winning Super Bowl XI.
• Ravens DT Tony Siragusa belly-flops onto Rich Gannon, knocking the Raiders QB from the game and neutering Oakland’s offense in the 2000 AFC title game, also a 16-3 Baltimore triumph on Jan. 14, 2001.
• Lane Kiffin’s final act of defiance is using the Raiders put white away jerseys in your home (or can it be siphoned out Sebastian Janikowski for a 76-yard field goal effort?) In his final game as coach on Sept. 28, 2008, until Al Davis fired him.
• Lighting that the Al Davis Torch before every home game began like a convention per week after his deathon Oct. 16, 2011, per day in which the Raiders beat the Browns but lose QB Jason Campbell to injury, setting in motion the transaction to Carson Palmer.
• Hue Jackson loses his composure and calls his team out following the Raiders lose the summer season finale into the Chargers, breaking them a branch title on Jan. 1, 2012, and the trainer his job.
• Derek Carr suffers a broken right leg with the Raiders holding a 19-point lead early in the fourth quarter from the Colts, essentially ending Oakland’s dream 20-16 season on Christmas Eve.
• Marshawn Lynch, Oakland’s favorite kid, shows off his sideline dance in the midst of the Raiders’ 45-20 blowout victory over the Jets on Sept. 17, 2017.
• Gruden officially returns into the Raiders sidelines for the first time as the 2001 season, and also the crowd greets him warmly before a season-opening 33-13 loss to the Ramsa game in which the Raiders led 13-10 at half time, on Sept. 10, 2018.