Atletico Madrid suffered a shock exit from the Copa del Rey since Girona maintained a 3-3 second-leg draw advance to the last eight on away goals.
Atletico made an ideal start through Nikola Kalinic’s opener.
Valery Fernandez and also Cristhian Stuani struck to swing the tie Girona’s way before Angel Correa’s equaliser.
Antoine Griezmann’s target appeared to have put the hosts to the next round but Seydou Doumbia played just two minutes left to send Girona through.
There is more bad news for an Atletico side already missing a few first team regulars to trauma, with Spain midfielder Saul Niguez forced off with a muscle problem early in the second half.
- Inch Adán
- Two Godín
- 20Torres BelénSubstituted forHernándezat 67′moments Booked at 69mins
- 8SaúlSubstituted forHernándezat 56′moments
- 6KokeSubstituted forGriezmannat 6 1′moments Booked at 85mins
- 9N Kalinic
- 1-1 Lemar
- 18Gelson Martins
- 2 1 Hernández
- 3 2 Garcés
- Inch IraizozBooked at 90mins
- Two Bernardo
- 29PorroBooked at 90mins
- 6Granell NoguéSubstituted forPonsat 7 3′moments
- 1 2 Soares de Paulo
- 3 4 Fernández
- 2 3 García
- 19LozanoSubstituted forDoumbiaat 68′moments