Chelsea will not have striker Gonzalo Higuain available for Thursday’s Carabao Cup semifinal next leg together with Tottenham because his widely anticipated signing has not been completed in time.
The Blues – who trail 1-0 from the first leg – will focus on Eden Hazard or Olivier Giroud at the start.
Dele Alli (hamstring) and also Harry Kane (ft ) are outside until March while Son Heung Min is about international duty.
Fernando Llorente is predicted to play in attack for Spurs, that may still not turn into abandoned striker Vincent Janssen despite their present injury problems.
Janssen’s last appearance for Spurs was as an 89th-minute replacement against Chelsea at August 2017 and the Dutch striker has never played one game this season.
“I feel it’s therefore obvious that today it’s one year and a half that he’s not in our plans,” Mauricio Pochettino stated.
“He’s maybe not at all Tottenham’s plans. Perhaps not in just the manager’s plans but the club’s plan.
“two weeks ago we took the decision to allow him to make an effort to discover another location to play as for motives it didn’t work.
“For several different factors that professional relationship isn’t working and we need to get a solution. We’re trying to find the resolution.”
The winners will play with Manchester City – who guide Burton Albion 9-0 starting Wednesday’s second leg – in the final at Wembley on 24 February.
- Chelsea have lost their meetings with Tottenham this season – the previous time they lost three matches against precisely the identical opponent at a season was Manchester City at 2012 13.
- Chelsea have not lost consecutive home matches against Spurs in all contests since March 1982.
- The previous time Tottenham beat a team three times at the exact same season was in 2013-14 against Aston Villa.
- On just one of the five previous occasions that Chelsea lost the first leg of a League Cup semifinal tie have they improved into the final, beating Arsenal 4-3 on aggregate in 1997 98 on the way to winning the decoration.
- Tottenham have improved on three of the five previous occasions they obtained a League Cup semifinal first-leg going out against Newcastle at 1975-76 and Arsenal at 198687 after 1-0 wins out first time.
- Since the beginning of the year, Chelsea’s Eden Hazard was directly engaged with six goals in his seven League Cup matches (3 goals, 3 assists).