EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Ny Giants failed to pick up the option on the contract of conducting Jonathan Stewart from Wednesday’s deadline,” a source told .

It is the result that is expected after Stewart rushed for 17 yards on six carries and wasn’t activated off injured reserve despite being fit late. He had been advised to count $3.2 million against the salary cap in 2019.

The Athletic first reported that the Giants did not get Stewart’s option.

General director signed Stewart last season to some two-year deal values upto $6.575 million.

Stewart, 31, had spent the first 10 seasons of his career with the Carolina Panthers. Gettleman hoped his strong veteran presence and was familiar with Stewart in their time together.

“One of the biggest problems we had last year we had to mend was everything? The locker room. And Jonathan Stewart and [offensive lineman] Patrick Omameh are real professionals, and they certainly were attracted to get a specific purpose,” Gettleman said following this growing season. “They were attracted here for other reasons than their play. Understand that. We feel like we’ve turned that corner, especially with this beginner class.”

Stewart’s role was minimal simply as the Giants drafted running Saquon Barkley No. 2 overall annually. After Stewart had been healthy, Barkley and also Wayne Gallman proved in front of him to the depth chart.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here