- How to Trace :
- Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text Comment on the BBC Sport website
Mauricio Pochettino says he is not surprised with the development of the English winger Jadon Sancho of Borussia Dortmund as Spurs prepare to take on the side in the Champions League.
The 18-year-old, who combined at 20 17 in Manchester City, has produced eight goals and 10 assists for the Bundesliga leaders in 2013.
“We knew well he was capable of doing what he’s doing now,” Pochettino explained. “We’re talking within the last few years that he was a large prospect”
Sancho is expected to be called in the starting XI after Dortmund captain Marco Reus was ruled out of this first leg match with a leg injury.
Pochettino added:”Obviously he is showing currently in Germany he can manage the pressure to play at the Bundesliga or at the Champions League. And no, it doesn’t surprise me. His ability is there and he’s an incredibly talented player”
The teenager, whose three aims helped England win the Under-17 world-cup at 20 17, won his first cap against Croatia last October.
‘We can do this year,’ says Vertonghen
Defender Jan Vertonghen is convinced Tottenham will hit the very final eight for the first time as 2011.
“We can beat anybody,” said the Belgian, who’s very likely to play with at the left-back position and mark Sancho.
“We have shown that this past year. Over two games we were the superior team against Real Madrid (four points from two bunch games) who have been the ultimate winners of this trophy.
“This is why it was a shame we could not do better last year because we felt we ought to have done better. That is why everyone has the impression we may do this year”
Tottenham duo Eric Dier (virus) and also Erik Lamela (back) both came back to practice with the group on Tuesday for its initial leg in their last-16 match. Neither were readily designed for Sunday’s 3-1 win.
Argentine Pochettino confirmed the shin injury of left-back Danny Rose means he is a doubt for Wednesday’s contest.
Spurs have a 55% probability of reaching the last eight
Simon Gleave, mind of sports analysis in Gracenote, said: “Tottenham are rated that the best team in Europe by the euro-club Index, four places above Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund. Tottenham have a 55% chance of reaching the quarterfinals.
“Spurs’ potential for winning this year’s Champions League is approximately 3%up from approximately 2% until the group phase started.”
- Tottenham and Dortmund are facing one another for the third time within the past four seasons in European competition. Their head-to-head record is also balanced, with two wins each.
- Tottenham won both previous experiences with Dortmund from the Champions League; this came in last season’s group stages (3 1 in Wembley, 2-1 in the Oval Iduna Park).
- All 1 9 goals scored from the Champions League this season by Tottenham (nine) and Borussia Dortmund (10) have come from open play.
- Dortmund haven’t neglected to score against Tottenham in European competition (four matches ).
- Dortmund have reached the knockout stages of the Champions League for the fifth time in their last six campaigns while this really is the first time Tottenham have reached the knockout phase in consecutive seasons. Their bench has already been the very clinical with five objects.
- No team conceded fewer Champions League aims than Borussia Dortmund in this season’s group stages (two in six matches ).
- Raphael Guerreiro has scored four of Borussia Dortmund’s last five goals in the Champions League. He’s the very best Portuguese scorer in this season’s competition (four goals).
- Eight of Tottenham’s nine goals in the Champions League this season have come in the second half (89 percent ).
- Kane was involved in 48% of Tottenham’s aims in the Champions League within the last 3 seasons (16/33), scoring 13 days and assisting on three occasions.