By Aragon Garcia: Saul Canelo Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions have made the decision to postpone the Mexican superstar’s previously scheduled September 14 fight date on DAZN so that they can find the best possible opponent for his next match.
Canelo and Golden Boy want to maximize his fights by facing the best talent to please the boxing public. They had recently been in talks with WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev for a fight in September. However, they were unable to put together a deal with the star.
Kovalev, 35, reportedly plans on going ahead with his mandatory defense against #1 WBO Anthony Yarde on August 24 in Russia. However, a fight between Canelo and Kovalev is still possible for later this year. It would depend on how grueling Kovalev’s fight with Yarde is.
If Kovalev can escape that fight without suffering punishment, a fight between him and Canelo can happen in late 2019.
Kovalev and Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin are the two names that have been approved by DAZN. The other options for Canelo’s next fight aren’t as appealing.
These are some of the names:
- Demetrius ‘Boo Boo’ Andrade
- Callum Smith
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko – [* The IBF recently ordered Canelo to make a defense of their belt]
- Billy Joe Saunders
Canelo (52-1-2, 35 KOs) normally fights on the Mexican holiday weekends in May and September in order to please his fans. This year, he’ll be deviating from that practice for his next fight.
Canelo’s statement on his postponement of September fight date
“As a Mexican, it’s a responsibility and an honor to represent my country in both May and September,” said Canelo. “Those are my dates. However, as a world champion in multiple weight classes, I also have the responsibility of delivering the most exciting and competitive fights possible. That’s why Golden Boy and my team have decided to postpone the date in order to do right by my fans by promoting the best fight possible and with the best opponent possible,” said Canelo.
Besides the need for Canelo to find a suitable opponent for his next fight, he’s had a right knee problem that has been giving him trouble as of late. Postponing his next fight until October, November or December 2019, gives Canelo’s knee more time to rest.
Golden Boy waiting for Kovalev-Yarde outcome?
It’s likely that Golden Boy Promotions are going to wait until the smoke clears from the Kovalev-Yarde fight on August 24. They will then look to have Canelo face the winner. Although it’s not a certainty that Kovalev (33-3-1, 28 KOs) will defeat the powerful Yarde (18-0, 17 KOs), there’s a high probability that he will. Kovalev is the more experienced fighter of the two, and he’s going to be fighting at home on August 24. The fight will be taking place in Kovalev’s home country of Russia at the Traktor Sport Palace, in Chelyabinsk.
Kovalev is vulnerable though. Yarde could upset the apple-cart if he’s able to drag the aging Kovalev into the later rounds, and tire him out to score knockout. Andre Ward wore Kovalev down with body shots and wrestling in their two fights. Yarde, 27, is a bigger puncher than Ward, and it won’t be difficult for him to mimic the same grappling moves that Ward used. Ward did a great job of preventing Kovalev from getting his shots off while he’s fresh. Kovalev is dangerous early in his fights, but he loses power when his matches go into the later rounds.
GGG expected to be bypassed by Canelo
Although Golovkin is one of the two fighters that DAZN has approved for Canelo Alvarez to fight, he’s not expected to be selected by Golden Boy Promotions. A trilogy fight between Canelo and Golovkin is expected to take place in May of 2020. It’s better that the fight is scheduled for next year, because Golovkin has done zero to redeem himself following his loss to Canelo last September. GGG stayed out of the ring for nine months after the loss, and came back recently in beating little known 35-year-old Canadian Steve Rolls.
What GGG needs to do is step it up against a world champion like WBO belt holder Demetrius Andrade, and capture his title. That’s what Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo wanted Golovkin to do. Instead of doing that, GGG and his team picked out the obscure fighter Rolls (19-1, 15 KOs) for GGG to bulldoze in four rounds. Golovkin didn’t perform well against Rolls, as he took a lot of heavy head shots before stopping him in round four.
If GGG chooses not to fight Andrade, then he needs to face one of these guys:
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko
- Daniel Jacobs
- Callum Smith
- David Benavidez
- Caleb Plant
- Billy Joe Saunders
- Ryota Murata
Derevyanchenko is an obvious choice for Golovkin to face next, as long as Canelo vacates his International Boxing Federation middleweight title. Golovkin and Derevyanchenko can fight for the vacant IBF title. If GGG wins, then he moves on to the trilogy fight with Canelo Alvarez. This is survival of the fittest. There are no guarantee fights when it comes to facing Canelo. You have to earn you’re spot to face the superstar. Golovkin has backed off from facing world class opposition, and it’s not surprising that he’s being ignored by Canelo.