The 28-year-old Brazilian earned a contract with the UFC earlier this month but failed a pre-fight drug test taken in conjunction with his July 9 light heavyweight bout against Kenneth Bergh at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Trocoli’s team confirmed the news to MMA Fighting following a report by Combate.
The test was administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Trocoli’s team said.
UFC president Dana White said on Tuesday’s episode of the Contender Series that Trocoli has been released from the promotion.
“We’re going to release him,” White said. “He shouldn’t be using anywhere for any reason.”
“Malvadeza” initially impressed White with a first-round neck crank submission of Bergh and then signed a deal with the company later that night.
Trocoli’s drug test came back positive for nandrolone, an anabolic steroid. According to his team, they are going to test his supplements for a possible contamination.
Trocoli started his career as a welterweight, competing twice under the Legacy FC banner against Jacob Volkmann and Dhiego Lima, before moving all the way up to 205 pounds in 2018 and going 3-0 as a light heavyweight.