Bury have said owner Steve Dale has been made aware of an offer to buy the financially embattled League One club.

The English Football League has also given Bury until 09:00 BST on Tuesday to show how they plan to pay off creditors – or they face having a fourth game suspended.

A statement attributed to “Bury FC Staff” described the offer as “the only lifeline for the future of the club”.

Dale has said he will not sell until financial stability is restored.

Bury are yet to play a game this season after League One matches against MK Dons and Accrington, as well as Tuesday’s League Cup match against Sheffield Wednesday, have all been suspended because of the ongoing crisis at Gigg Lane.

On August 9, they were given 14 days to avoid being expelled from the EFL as evidence previously requested about how Bury will meet its commitments to football creditors, those outlined in its Company Voluntary Arrangement or details how the club will be funded this season, has not been provided.

“We remain disappointed that we are still not in a position to reach a successful conclusion with Mr Dale, but will continue to work diligently in an effort to receive the information we require,” said EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans.

“The real threat of Bury’s EFL membership being withdrawn still exists, a situation nobody – including this board – wants to see and I sincerely hope we can find a way through these challenging circumstances for the benefit of all those who have an association with the club.”

More to follow.