Bury are “actively considering” legal action against the English Football League following the club’s “unfair” expulsion on Tuesday.
Members of the club’s executive met on Friday to discuss their options, having earlier sent the EFL a letter questioning its handling of the affair.
The Shakers were expelled
“All options are on the table. One that has to be considered is legal action,” said the club’s lawyer Chris Farnell.
In a club statement issued on Thursday, Bury confirmed the EFL would not be rescinding its decision to expel the club – despite the Shakers saying a £7m takeover bid had been submitted prior to Tuesday’s second deadline.
The club have since sent a letter to the EFL setting out a list of questions – seen by BBC Sport – including:
- Why a late bid from Brazilian multi-millionaire pastor Gustavo Benedito, which emerged on Tuesday afternoon, was not accepted.
- Why the EFL said that a bid from an Italian consortium had not been received when the club insist that it had.
- Why is it proportionate to consider dropping Bury five leagues – the club want the EFL to consider dropping them down to League Two instead
- Why owner Steve Dale passed the fit and proper person test.
- Why the EFL refused to meet with representatives of Bury on Friday.
- Why ex-Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite was not considered to be an appropriate owner.
More to follow.