Betfred Super League
Warrington (16) 23
Tries: Clark, Currie, Charnley, Goodwin Goals: Ratchford 3 Drop-goal: Patton
Wakefield (0) 16
Tries: Escare, Jones-Bishop, Hampshire Goals: Brough 2

Wakefield could not complete a comeback at Warrington meaning defeat by London could relegate them next weekend.

Trinity came close to securing a win that would have all but guaranteed safety but ultimately could not overturn a 16-0 half-time deficit.

In the first season since Super League scrapped the Million Pound Game London, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Hull KR all head into the final round on 20 points.

The Broncos sit bottom and with a vastly inferior points difference.

It looked as though Wakefield were certain to be heading into their last match of the season needing to win when they quickly fell behind themselves and Broncos raced ahead against Rovers.

Fightbacks at both the Halliwell Jones Stadium and Craven Park seemed as if they were about to turn that scenario on its head, only for each to ultimately prove to be in vain.

Warrington’s victory – their first in seven Super League games – leaves them in third place, level on points with Salford, and keeps their play-off push on track.

The Challenge Cup winners built a significant buffer in the opening period with tries from Daryl Clark, Ben Currie and Josh Charnley, before Trinity’s response through Morgan Escare and Ben Jones-Bishop proved not quite enough.

When Bryson Goodwin crossed for the Wire and kicks from Stefan Ratchford and Declan Patton extended the lead, Warrington were pretty much safe.

There was still time for Ryan Hampshire to go over for Wakefield and give the scoreline a fairer reflection.

Warrington coach Steve Price:

“It was a fantastic first half. Everything we set out to do pre-game we did and we could have been further ahead. The second half they were ready to be choked but we took the foot off a little bit.

“The most pleasing thing was the win which is all that counted. We got a lot of belief and confidence after the Challenge Cup win but it was all about getting back to winning ways in Super League.

“We played some really good attacking football especially in that first 40 minutes and we created a lot of ruck speed.

“The boys are all in really good spirits at the moment and we came out of the game with no injuries which is the main thing.”

Wakefield coach Chris Chester:

“We always knew we needed to win one more game and we now need another big performance. We can’t afford to worry about other teams, I’ve got to make sure we prepare well and make sure we get the result.

“We spoke in the dressing room that we need one last big effort and if we get the game won we will all breathe a lot easier. It’s another big week and I’ll try and keep the pressure off the boys but I know the players will be giving their all.

“We gave ourselves too much to do in the second half although we were a little bit unlucky to be going in 16-0 down at half-time. We were pretty good defensively but just had some individual misses which cost us.

“But there was bags of effort and we were the better side in the second half and showed some grit, determination and courage to get ourselves back in the game. We had all the momentum in the second half and we were fantastic and there was very little between the two teams. We were unlucky not to get the result.”

: Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, Charnley, Austin, Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, Patton, T King.

Interchanges: Philbin, Akauola, Mamo, Smith.

Wakefield Trinity: Hampshire, Lyne, Jones-Bishop, Miller, Brough, Kirmond, Randell, Kopczak, Arundel, Crowther, Tanginoa, Escare, Tangata.

Interchanges: Wood, G King, Gwaze, Green.

Referee: Chris Kendall (RFL).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here